To fully implement the “Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone Development Planning” approved by the State and to accelerate the implementation process of the planning in order to achieve the planning-set objectives and tasks on schedule, the following decisions are hereby made.
1. To grasp the historical opportunity of opening up and development of the Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone
(A) A profound understanding of the significance of planning implementation: The approval of the implementation of “Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone Development Planning” is a major act to promote the coordinated development of the country in a new era, which fully reflects great care and attention of the CPC Central Committee and the State Council about the development of Guangxi. The full implementation of the Planning through seizing the opportunity and playing to the advantages is of great significance to deepen the cooperation and opening up of Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone, optimize the industrial structure, perfect infrastructure, protect the environment, promote the harmony between urban and rural areas, and achieve regional coordination, in an endeavor to build Guangxi into a new highland for regionally international economic cooperation and a new pole of China's coastal economic development, with the simultaneous realization of the national goal of building a moderately prosperous society.
(B) Effectively enhancing the ability to grasp the opportunity: The full implementation of the Planning is a new mission to accelerate the development of Guangxi in the new period. We must emancipate the mind and strengthen the awareness of opportunity, continuously improving the capacity of scientific development by achieving sound and fast development. We must renew our concepts, making good use of our geographical advantages to make up for the lost time, developing big enterprises to integrate the use of resources, attracting investment to adjust inventory, and deepening opening up and cooperation, and constantly improving the innovation and development capabilities. And we must adhere to the coordinated development, prioritizing the development of transport, industry, and coastal areas, while striving for social harmony and stability, ecological environmental protection and the development of inland areas.
2. Guidelines, main objectives and basic requirements
(C) Guidelines: We must persist in Deng Xiaoping’s Theory and the "Three Represents" as guidance, comprehensively implementing the guideline of the 17th CPC National Congress, studying and practicing in depth the scientific outlook of development. We will make full use of our advantages and develop port industries. We will continue to cooperate and open up wider with outside world as well as in domestic market. We will improve the institutions and mechanisms for the opening up and development of the Economic Zone through reform and innovation. We will form a reasonable and orderly land development pattern through scientific planning. And we will establish sustainable development mechanisms with virtuous cycle through ecological environment protection. Under these guidelines we will build Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone into a new base to drive the western development, an important international and regional economic cooperation area, thus becoming an important region of economic growth in China's coastal regions, a vanguard of scientific development of Guangxi, a pioneering region for development and a test area for reform and opening up.
(D) Main objectives: According to the State’s deployment and actual conditions of Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone, and in accordance with the requirements of large-scale development in 10 to 15 years, a planned development and construction of the Economic Zone is carried out step by step.
In the next three years, we will actively explore a development path of regional economic integration, further speed up the development and construction of Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone, and lay a solid foundation for the future by concentrating on the new strategic goal to build an important international and regional economic cooperation zone and a new pole of China's coastal economic development zones, taking port construction as the leading role, focusing on the development of heavy chemical industry along the coast, making the relevant infrastructure construction as safeguard, and relying on the city group from the North to the South around Qinzhou and Fangchenggang.
Specific objectives: Coastal petrochemical, iron and steel, forestry pulp and paper, electronics, and export processing and other major industrial bases will be basically completed; hundred-million-ton and modern combination port will basically take shape along the coast; bonded logistics system and processing system that focus on the bonded port area will be initially established for operations; comprehensive reform and policy innovation on administration, land management, and the market system will take new steps; the level of cooperation will be improved internally and externally, bringing obvious effects for opening up and cooperation to promote development and construction, and playing a greater role as windows, bridges and hinge in the opening and cooperation between China and ASEAN; and comprehensive strength and the leading role will be markedly enhanced and the proportion of total economic output in Guangxi further improved.
By 2012, the average annual GDP growth rate of Economic Zone will be three to five percentage points higher than that of Guangxi, its economic aggregate accounting for 35% of the total of Guangxi, fiscal revenue accounting for about 38%, investment in fixed assets about 40%, and total volume of imports and exports about 60%. The logistics base, business and trade base, processing and manufacturing base and information exchange center for the opening up and cooperation between China and ASEAN will have been basically completed.
By 2020, the Zone will have fully completed the tasks set forth in the Planning and achieved the goal of comprehensively building a moderately prosperous society first in China's western region, and will be playing a greater role in leading the development of Guangxi, achieving an interaction among the east, middle, and west regions and strengthening the China-ASEAN cooperation.
(E) Basic requirements: The basic requirements are to effectively change the mode of economic development, to accelerate the development of modern industries, to construct infrastructure-supporting system, so as to improve the capability of independent innovation and promote the upgrading of industrial structure. Besides, we shall adhere to the coordinated development and construction, highlighting the main body functions, optimizing the spatial distribution, promoting the intensive and orderly development, so as to achieve organizing-group development and improve development effectiveness. Furthermore, with greater opening up for large-scale development, we shall be more involved in domestic and international regional cooperation, actively undertake the transfer of industries, expand the scale of foreign economy, and enhance the level of an open economy. On the other hand, resource conservation and environmental protection are to be strengthened, an ecological civilization to be built, people's livelihood effectively improved and social harmony promoted. Moreover, we shall focus on deepening the reform, the innovation of institution and mechanism, the improvement of market system, the transformation of government functions, and the optimization of the development environment.
III. To adhere to solid foundation for development
6. To speed up the improvement of infrastructure is an important prerequisite for the implementation of the planning. The establishment of modern infrastructure system has a bearing on the overall development in the Economic Zone. Therefore, we need to make overall arrangements and speed up the construction appropriately. The foremost task is to enhance the support capabilities of transportation, water conservancy and energy, in order to accelerate economic development and promote opening up and cooperation.By making good use of market mechanisms, we can open up the infrastructure market, broaden the investment and financing channels and build investment and financing platform, in order to establish a diversified investment and financing system for infrastructure. We will make efforts to raise more money for the infrastructure facilities such as communications, energy, water and urban municipal engineering.
7. To give priority to transport development: It’s urgent to construct a comprehensive, convenient and efficient modern transport system for the development of the Economic Zone. In accordance with the arrangement of transport infrastructure in Guangxi and the strategic targets of building international channels and cooperation platform, we will further improve and implement the development planning of roads, railways, ports, airports, waterways and tunnels. We will give impetus to the construction of high-level roads, sea transportation and aviation connecting with ASEAN countries. The construction of railways and express ways connecting cities in the Economic Zone and neighboring countries will be accelerated.We will build Pan-Beibu Gulf sea lanes and port logistics center and establish high-level highway network, large-capacity rail network and high-density aviation network. We will accelerate the construction of port berth and waterway in Fangchenggang Port, Qinzhou Port and Tieshan Port in Beihai; the highway network from Chongzuo to Qinzhou, Yulin to Tieshan Port, Liujing to Qinzhou Port; the express railways from Nanning to Guangzhou, Nanning to Hengyang, Nanning to Kunming and to other coastal cities. Meanwhile, the capacity of Nanning Wuxu Airport will be expanded and a complete collection and distribution system formed. Great efforts will be made to develop container transport and enhance the function of ports in order to create a port logistics center and an international shipping center. We will start the construction of Nanning urban rail project as soon as possible and strengthen the interface between the various modes of transport and try to achieve the "seamless link" for freights and "zero distance transfer" for passengers. We will also strengthen the construction of border transport facilities.
8. To strengthen energy construction: We will give full play to advantages of coastal areas，optimize the development of thermal power and speed up the development of nuclear power and renewable energy. We will accelerate the construction of thermal power in Nanning, nuclear power in Fangchenggang, wind power in coastal area, biomass energy and transmission and distribution networks. The modern energy industries along the coast will be strengthened, through improving the coal transshipment ability in Qinzhou Port and establishing coastal crude oil and coal reserve bases. Efforts will be made to diversify the forms of energy, sources of energy and supply of energy.
9. To strengthen water conservancy construction: It is an important task for Economic Zone to build water conservancy projects in order to improve the ability of calamity reduction, ensure water supply and protect and optimize the use of water resources. We will accelerate the construction of reinforcing dangerous reservoirs, Hepu large-scale irrigation district, standard seawall along the coast and water diversion project in industrial parks and strengthen city flood protection and waterlogging drainage projects in Nanning and the coastal cities. We will also actively promote the preparatory work of inland canal project.Water conservation construction of Nanning Dawangtan Reservoir will be sped up so as to effectively protect the urban and rural drinking water sources.We will improve the small and medium sized water conservancy facilities in the countryside and strengthen management of water resources utilization
10. To strengthen urban infrastructure construction: We must accelerate the pace of urban infrastructure construction in order to improve urban functions with unique features. In accordance with the unified deployment of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, we will accelerate the construction of sewage and waste centralized treatment facilities in Nanning, Beihai, Qinzhou, Fangchenggang cities as well as key industrial parks in order to reach standards by the end of the 11thFive-year Plan.At the same time, we will vigorously promote urban infrastructure construction such as roads, bridges, information, water supply and drainage, power supply, gas supply, etc.; and other public facilities such as public transportation, sanitation and landscaping.
IV. To give priority to the development of industries
11. To give priority to the development of industries is the focus of the plan. We will establish a competitive and distinctive industrial structure by adapting to the development of clustering, informative and ecological industries and making efforts to develop high-level coastal industries, hi-tech industries and modern service industries. We will turn the resources advantages into competitive and economic advantages in the market.We will adhere to industry-dominating position, speed up the development of advanced manufacturing industry and accelerate the construction of offshore oil chemical industry, forestry pulp and paper, steel, aluminum processing, ship building and repair, light industry and food, as well as Nanning national high-tech bio industries base. We will also focus on the development of electronic information, biology, environmental protection, new materials, modern Chinese medicine, marine and other high-tech industries. Meanwhile, we will adhere to the position of agriculture as the foundation of national economy, speed up the adjustment of agricultural structure, and focus on supporting agricultural leading enterprises. We will develop a group of leading agricultural industries and famous high quality products in Guangxi as well as in China by improving the level of industrialization of agriculture and increasing comprehensive agricultural production capacity. We will vigorously develop the service industries including financing, transport, commerce, tourism, logistics, information, convention and exhibition, cultural industry and real estate. The modern service industry system shall be established as soon as possible through cultivating new form of business and enhancing the proportion of service industry.Nanning International Logistics Base will be built. We will integrate tourism resources in Beibu Gulf and set up Beibu Gulf Tourism Group and Beibu Gulf coastal tourism distribution center.Together with the development of capital and technology-intensive enterprise, we must also focus on the development of comparatively advantageous labor-intensive industries.
12. To speed up the construction of major industrial projects: The major projects determined in the plan, including Qinzhou Oil Refinery (phase I), Qinzhou Forest-Pulp-Paper Integration (phase I), CEC Beihai Electronics Industrial Park, Qinzhou-Nanning Oil Pipelines shall be completed and put to operation according to the plan.We willaccelerate the construction of port-vicinity industries, such as 10-million-ton steel base in Fangchenggang Port, Forest-Pulp-Paper and polypropylene project in Tieshan Port, Qinzhou Oil Refinery (phase II), ship repair and shipbuilding and container manufacturing in coastal area and food processing.We will also speed up the preliminary work of the projects in Nanning, such as the fine chemical industry base, heavy machinery manufacturing, Electronic Science and Technology Park, sugar making, aluminum fabrication, as well as biomass energy, and start the construction as soon as possible. We will speed up the progress of the relocation of Beihai Oil Refinery
13. To build high level industrial parks: In accordance with the requirements of centralizing production factors, industries and services, we will build modern industrial parks based on cities and deep sea ports, pilot parks based on foreign advanced industries and technology transfer and demonstration parks based on innovative and hi-tech industries. We will improve the capacity and supporting service in the existing industrial parks in order to promote the development of industrial clustering. We will speed up the construction of port industrial parks in Qinzhou, Fangchenggang and Tieshang ports, bonded area in Qinzhou Port, Regional International Logistics Base and New and Hi-tech Industrial Development Zone in Nanning, Nanning-ASEAN Economic Development Zone, Export Processing Zone and New and Hi-tech Industrial Park in Beihai, Border Economic Cooperation Zone in Pingxiang and Dongxing. Based on the functions of the parks, we will improve various supporting facilities by observing the principle of conservation of land.More efforts will be made to attract investment, speed up the construction of industrial projects, and improve investment intensity and the output per unit area in the parks. We will improve administrative system and service standards and implement “enclave” policy in order to build the parks into major carriers for industry transfer and concentrated areas of modern industry, circular economy demonstration areas and industrial development growth poles.
V. To uphold wider opening and cooperation with the outside world
14. To open wider with the outside world is the fundamental way to implement the planning.In accordance with the objectives and requirements of establishing major international and regional economic cooperation zone, we will implement international and domestic regional cooperation strategies focusing on ASEAN and the Pan-PRD region.We will make full use of the two markets and two resources, expand the scale of foreign economy, trade and capitals. Through combining the opening-up policy and going global strategy, we can open wider to the outside world, improve opening structure and cooperation mechanism, and enhance the level of cooperation to accelerate the development of open economy.
15. To promote multi-regional cooperation: We will continue to deepen the China - ASEAN cooperation and start the construction of the pilot projects in key areas participated by Economic Zone. We will accelerate the construction of Sino-Vietnamese cross-border pilot project at Youyi Guan under the framework of GMS Cross-border Transport Agreement, and the construction of Nanning - Hanoi Economic Corridor and Nanning – Singapore Channel Economic Zone. We will vigorously promote the Pan-Beibu Gulf economic cooperation and expand the economic and trade exchanges with Japan, South Korea, Europe, the United States and the countries in South Asia.Domestic regional cooperation shall be based on South China, work jointly with southwest of China and face the southeast of China. We will continue to deepen the cooperation in key areas between the Pan-Pearl River Delta region and Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, actively undertake the transfer of industries in this region and strengthen the economic and trade cooperation with other domestic provinces and municipalities. A new cooperation pattern shall be formed as soon as possible to achieve positive interaction, mutual benefit and win-win situation. We will accelerate the construction of Qinzhou bonded area to ensure its operation by the end of 2009. We will also speed up the construction of the key area for national processing trade transfer in Nanning and Qinzhou, expand the scale of processing trade and promote the transformation and upgrading of processing trade. Efforts are made to get the approval from the State for the establishment of comprehensive border bonded area in Pingxiang and the Bonded Logistics Center (B) in Nanning and Fangchenggang as soon as possible, and for expanding bonded logistics functions in Beihai export processing zones so as to promote opening and cooperation.
16. To improve opening and cooperation mechanism: We will further promote the influence and cohesion of China - ASEAN Expo and the Pan-Beibu Gulf Economic Cooperation Forum, attract more capitals, technology, human resources and encourage qualified domestic enterprises to make overseas investment, set up factories and contract projects in ASEAN countries. We will make further study on ASEAN markets, strengthen the close business relationship between China and ASEAN countries and improve win-win long-term mechanism. China - ASEAN Expo and the China - ASEAN Business and Investment Summit serve as an important bridge and authority platform with higher level and better effects. We will expand pragmatic cooperation and strive for more China-ASEAN cooperation mechanism settled in Guangxi, and encourage the establishment of consular and commercial representative body of ASEAN countries in Guangxi. With developing economy of headquarters in Nanning, the government plays a leading role in attracting the ASEAN countries as well as non-governmental organizations, enterprises and research bodies to get extensively involved in the Pan-Beibu Gulf Economic Cooperation Forum.The Joint Expert Group will be able to play a role, as soon as possible, in the establishment of the Pan-Beibu Gulf sub-regional cooperation mechanism.We will remain close contact with domestic and international financial institutions, such as the State Development Bank, the Asian Development Bank, etc. to establish economic and trade cooperation mechanism with financial support.By making full use of the Pan-PRD Regional Economic and Trade Cooperation Forum, we will improve the cooperation mechanism between the governments and businesses. We will improve the implementation mechanism for cooperative projects in order to enhance the percentage of execution of contracts and availability of funds.
VI. To deepen reform and innovation
17. Innovative institutional mechanism is a great power to implement the planning. We shouldemancipate our minds, keep pace with the times and make changes and innovations. Through integrating breakthroughs in key areas with comprehensive innovation, economic structure reform with other reforms, we will establish a unified and open market system, efficient administrative system, scientific and effective coordination mechanism, fair social security system and complete legal system in order to promote business innovation.
18. To speed up comprehensive supporting reform: We will deepen administrative restructuring, improve management mode and operation mechanism in Economic Zone and speed up transformation of government functions so as to establish efficient and service-oriented government. We will actively introduce financial institutions into Guangxi and establish a centralized area for financial institutions in Nanning. We will speed up the building of local commercial banks and improve financial instrument and management mechanism. At the same time, rural finance reform needs to be accelerated. We are exploring the possibility of providing financial service directly to agriculture, rural areas and farmers and establishing a sound market system for production factors.We will deepen the reform of investment and financing, accelerate the establishment of a new investment system, with market-led investment, independent decision-making by enterprises, independent loan approval by banks, a variety of financing, standardized intermediary services and effective macro-control, and form a new investment and financing platform. Land use patterns can be innovative, by linking the increase of land use for construction in cities and towns with the decrease of land use for construction in rural areas. We will accelerate the reform to institute a stockholding system in State-owned enterprises and promote enterprise mergers and reorganizations.Great efforts are made to develop non-public economy, encourage universal entrepreneurship and promote the healthy development of small and medium enterprises.We will continue to deepen reforms in finance and taxation, foreign-related economy, demography and social management, and accelerate the establishment of a unified, open, competitive and orderly modern market system and promote the common development of multi-ownership economy.
19. To increase policy support: We will implement the national opening up policies and measures for supporting the development of Economic Zone.Within the economic management competence of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region,we will soon issue related policies and measures applicable to industrial development, finance and taxation, business administration, foreign economy and trade, land use, investment projects, charges, urban construction, port facilities, environmental protection, human resources and population management in order to support the development of Economic Zone. Guangxi will continue to centralize government financing resources in the construction of major infrastructure and supporting service facilities in Economic Zone.Governments at all levels in Economic Zone will draw up incentives, rationally allocate resources and fully mobilize the enthusiasm of all sectors in development.
20. To improve soft environment: We will improve the work style of administrative organizations, strengthen the long-term mechanism of administrative efficiency and further simplify the administrative procedures of examination and approvals in order to reduce investment costs and improve government’s service level. The favorable policies for businesses should be drawn up and implemented to make Economic Zone an ideal place for investment. We will continue to clean up and rectify administrative charges, regulate administrative law enforcement in governmental departments and the service of intermediary organizations in the market in order to protect the legitimate rights and interests of investors. A sound social credit system and fair competition environment need to be created. We will continue to deepen the “Clean Project of Urban and Rural Areas” and draw up regulations of the opening up and development in Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone.
VII. To build a harmonious society.
21. It is important to build a harmonious society. We will adhere to harmonious development based on democracy, rule of law, justice, friendship, stability and harmony between man and nature. More emphasis is put on the coordinated development in urban and rural areas, on social development, on justice, and on improving people’s livelihood, and to build a harmonious society step by step.
22. To balance urban and rural development: We will promote the building of new socialist countryside and the balanced development of urban and rural areas. With the implementation of the policy of urban supporting countryside, we will accelerate the establishment of the institutional mechanism to change the dual structure of urban and rural areas, and promote the comprehensive reform in rural areas so as to achieve better development in agriculture and increasing revenue for farmers. The rural economic structure will be adjusted and improved. We will accelerate urbanization and the development of county economy. We will strengthen the construction of infrastructure and public facilities in rural areas and develop the public undertakings such as education, health, culture and mass media in rural areas. Villages need to be well-planned and the living environment in the countryside needs to be improved. We will increase the investment in rural areas and give full play of the government’s leading role in funding. With more farmers and social capitals involved in rural construction, we can establish a steady growth mechanism for rural investment.
23. To strengthen social development: To build a harmonious society, we must realize, safeguard and develop the fundamental interests of the people. In accordance with the principles of balanced development of compulsory education, faster development of vocational education, appropriate development of higher education, we will vigorously develop education and universalize senior secondary education by 2012. We will accelerate scientific progress, popularize knowledge of science and technology, promote the scientific spirit and improve the quality of science and technology.We will develop cultural undertakings and industry and enhance cultural soft strength. Great efforts are made to develop public health undertakings and establish basic health care system and the public health system for urban and rural residents. We will implement a proactive employment policy, support innovation nationwide and develop harmonious labor relations. The social security system and income distribution system will be improved.We will build harmonious communities and harmonious villages and towns with innovative social management system. In addition, we will strengthen the social public security, enhance people's sense of security, and maintain social stability.
24. To strengthen the construction of ecological civilization:Ecological environment is an advantage and competitive strength as well. We must put the protection of the ecological environment in the first place and properly deal with the relationship between man and nature if we want to accelerate economic and social development. The development of Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone shall pay great attention to the ecological environment in terms of design and construction.We will change the mode of economic development and advocate healthy lifestyles and consumption. With rational exploitation and conservation of resources, we can save energy and protect environment. By building a resource-conserving, environment-friendly society, we can achieve economic prosperity and healthy ecosystem in the green economic zone. No one is allowed to cut the trees in primitive forest. We will focus on the protection of natural forest like Shiwan Dashan and water-conserved forest and strengthen the protection of natural reserves like mangrove forest park, scenic spots, geological parks, marine reserves, and wetland and maintain biological diversity.We will take measures to control river basin such as Yongjiang River and Qinjiang River, marine environment and urban environment by establishing a sound ecological compensation mechanism.Circular economy is developed with great efforts focusing on the conservation of energy, water, material, land and comprehensive utilization of resources.We will strictly implement environmental impact assessment system and the system for controlling regional total pollutants.The environment and resource pricing policy will be further improved.We will increase investment for energy conservation and environmental protection, enhance urban pollution prevention and accelerate the construction of energy saving and pollutant reduction projects in the key enterprises and industries such as papermaking, smelting, sugar-making, alcohol, and starch, etc.
VIII. To strengthen leadership
25. Agreements in thoughts and actions: Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone is the advantage, potential and hope for the leaping development of Guangxi for the days to come. All the departments and cities should be in agreement with the planning of the CPC Guangxi Committee and the People’s Government of Guangxi. With the sense of responsibility and urgency, we can make a joint effort to implement the planning. The cities in Economic Zone will take innovative measures according to the local situation for implementation. The other cities should cooperate with complementary advantages in the construction of Economic Zone and achieve common development.
26. To strengthen coordination: Implementation of the planning is a systematic engineering. We must strengthen leadership and coordination, adjust and improve the other related specific plans in accordance with overall planning in urban construction, land use, environmental protection, transportation, energy, etc. The CPC Guangxi Committee and Guangxi People’s Government have set up a leading group for the opening up and development of Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone, responsible for the study and coordination of major issues in the zone. In charge of the daily work, the Leading Group Working Office is located in the planning and construction committee office of Beibu Gulf Economic Zone. Working responsibility system shall be established to make clear the specific jobs of each department and city in the zone. And publicity efforts are made for the development of Economic Zone and a good environment is created for wider opening up. Expert Advisory Committee of Economic Zone is set up to promote a scientific and democratic decision-making system.
27. To emphasize work effect: The specific tasks for implementing the “Development Planning of Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone” have been assigned to the four leading groups of Guangxi, relevant departments and the cities in the zone. An effective working mechanism should be formed as soon as possible and the specific jobs should be done by specific departments and personnel. Only in this way can we achieve remarkable success.
28. To strengthen evaluation and supervision: An evaluation and supervision mechanism should be established for the implementation of the planning. The development construction should accord with the functions, layout and focus defined in the planning in order to protect land and ecological environment. During the implementation, evaluation needs to be conducted and suggestions for improvement need to be made according to the implementation effect and the new situation and problems that occurred. And the social participation and supervision mechanism should be improved and more social forces involved in the implementation of the planning.
Pan-Beibu Gulf Forum Attracts Continuously
Participants of Higher-level and Expanded Scope
The wind and water brings the tide---Participants of higher-level and expanded scope
If we say that in 2006 when the first Beibu Gulf Rim Economic Cooperation Forum was held, its influence was only "the wind suddenly beginning to ripple on the surface of pond," Then, by 2008 the Third Pan-Beibu Gulf Economic Cooperation Forum, and the upcoming fourth forum this year, its influence can be said to be "like rising wind and waving tide" and "making responders swarm".
In the first three forums, guests present increased by several times year after year, from 160 people to 300, and to 600. For this year's forum, over 20 vice-ministerial level officials have confirmed their participation and more than 30 guests will deliver a speech. The mainstream media journalists from ASEAN countries, Japan and South Korea, Hong Kong and Macao and other places will come to report the event.
Since Pan-Beibu Gulf Economic Cooperation was proposed, the acceptance of this concept has been growing in the ASEAN countries, from poor familiarity to deep understanding, to general agreement, and to the attachment of great importance. Higher and higher level attendants presented themselves at the forum. Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung, Brunei Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah, and other heads of states have made a positive acknowledge to the Pan-Beibu Gulf economic cooperation. It is worth noting that Thailand and some other ASEAN countries that are not included in the framework of Pan-Beibu Gulf economic cooperation also attached great importance to this cooperation. The Thai government has repeatedly asked to be involved in the Pan-Beibu Gulf economic cooperation through diplomatic notes. Today, Thailand's Ministry of Commerce has become one of the organizers of the fourth forum. This year, there are a number of foreign ministerial level officials to attend the forum, including the Philippine National Economic and Development Minister, Minister of Finance; Indonesia's Minister of Industry, Minister of Communications; Thailand's Vice Minister of Commerce, Vice President of the National Bank of Cambodia, and so on.
The academic circles at home and abroad have shown a great concern to the Forum. World-renowned master of economics and the former winner of the Nobel Prize for Economics, Father of the Euro Robert Mundell, well-known regional economist Robert Aumann James Morris, have attended the Forum and contributed their great suggestions, which bring not only a global perspective to the forum, but also the international admiration to this forum. For this year’s forum, five well-known research institutions from Pan-Beibu Gulf countries act as the co-organizers of the forum, and a group of famous experts and scholars at home and abroad make speeches on their own initiative. More and more domestic and foreign well-known experts come to share their research
achievement on Pan-Beibu Gulf economic cooperation.
The attractiveness of the Forum to the business community and the financial sector is growing. The first three forums attracted a total of 78 presidents from World Top 500, China Top 100, and well-known companies and enterprises at home and abroad to promote themselves and to seek opportunities for cooperation at the forum. Due to the recent introduction of the eight measures by China to strengthen the cooperation with ASEAN, including establishing the "China-ASEAN Investment Cooperation Fund" of 10 billion U.S. dollars and, in the next 3-5 years, providing 15 billion U.S. dollars in credit funds to the ASEAN countries, etc., this year's theme and topics of the forum are closely linked to this series of new developments and new opportunities, attracting great attention from financial sectors at home and abroad, and an unprecedented enthusiasm of the financial sector participants. The governor of the Export-Import Bank of China attends the forum and makes a speech. The Philippine Minister of Finance, Vice President of National Bank of Cambodia, and nine domestic major banks governors or deputy governors participate in the Forum.
Higher-level officials of international organizations are sent to participate in the forum, showing that their research in-depth and determination to cooperate is growing. Vice president of the Asian Development Bank, Deputy Secretary-General of ASEAN Secretariat, and the Economic Adviser of World Bank attend the Forum. With the participation of increasingly important international organizations, the Forum's influence begins to cover beyond Asia and increases its internationalization. This year, the chief representative of the United Nations in China, the special adviser of the European Commission in charge of ASEAN affairs, and the foreign envoys to China are also actively participating in the forum and delivering speeches, showing their great enthusiasm and concern for the Forum. Chinese ambassadors or counsellors to ASEAN countries are also present at the Forum, making the Forum a broadened high-level diplomatic arena.
Careful consideration helps improve the situation – close attention and positive support from the Chinese State leaders and other provinces
The increasing influence of the Forum and its greater role in regional cooperation can not do without the close attention and active support from Chinese State leaders, national departments, and fraternal neighboring provinces.
Once it was proposed, the idea of Pan-Beibu Gulf economic cooperation has been affirmed by the Chinese state leaders. General Secretary Hu Jintao has repeatedly made important instructions on Pan-Beibu Gulf economic cooperation and the Pan-Beibu Gulf economic cooperation Forum that the Forum is held to strengthen the good-neighborly friendship and pragmatic cooperation with ASEAN countries.
Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao proposed on three occasions at the meeting of China-ASEAN leaders to "actively explore the feasibility of the Pan-Beibu Gulf economic cooperation," which received a positive response from the leaders of ASEAN countries. During the inspection tour in Guangxi Beibu Gulf in October 2008, Premier Wen stressed the need to "further enhance the influence and cohesiveness of the Pan-Beibu Gulf Economic Cooperation Forum." CPPCC Chairman Jia Qinglin has repeatedly made requirements about the Pan-Beibu Gulf economic cooperation and clearly pointed out that the China-ASEAN Expo and the Pan-Beibu Gulf Economic Cooperation Forum should be built up and taken good advantage of as two important platforms.
Other Chinese leaders are pleased to come to the Forum: Jiang Zhenghua, vice-chairman of the NPC Standing Committee, has consecutively attended two forums; Vice-Chairman of the CPPCC National Committee Zheng Wantong and Li Wuwei also graced the event by their presence.
The number of the Forum organizers has grown from 7 at the first forum to 13 at the fourth this year, and the State ministries and commissions involved from 5 at the first forum to 9 at the fourth. The national agencies, National Development and Reform Commission, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Land and Resources, Ministry of Communications, Ministry of Commerce, the People's Bank, the General Administration of Customs, National Tourism Administration, the Development Research Center of the State Council, the National Development Bank, People's Daily, etc., have continuously increased their direct support to the Forum. Last year, Hainan Provincial People's Government became one of the organizers, and so did the Guangdong Provincial People's Government this year, which reflects the close attention of the neighboring provinces to the Pan-Beibu Gulf economic cooperation.
The increasing number of neighboring provinces and regions participating in the forum with growing interest to get involved, and the growing number of higher and higher-level government officials to attend the forum, has illustrated that the local decision makers have increased their concern about and involvement in the forum, so as to enhance their concern to look for development opportunities.