Events of Friendly Exchanges in 2007
1. January 10 A delegation of 10 led by head of the city affairs bureau of GwaCheon-si, South Korea, visited Nanning on the planning and construction of the development zones and the attraction of investment and the promotion of business.
2. February 5-8 A delegation of 36 Chinese foreign ambassadors inspected Nanning on its economical and social development and visited state-owned enterprises, private-owned enterprises and agricultural production projects. The delegation was organized by the Foreign Ministry of China and led by Xie Junping, Chinese ambassador to Esthonia.
3. February 11 Mayor Lin Guoqiang met with a Macau delegation who were then in Nanning to witness the opening of the construction of the Macau Street in Nanning.
4. March 3 Vice Mayor Zhao Hongsheng met a delegation from Val-de Marne, France, led by its governor.
5. March 13-16 An educational and cultural investigation delegation of 6 members from Eastbourne, UK led by its mayor visited Nanning. The delegation visited Nanning Oriental Foreign Languages School and signed a preliminary agreement on vocational training and on exchange of teachers.
6. March 14 Vice Mayor Xiao Yingzi met the visiting Mayor of Eastbourne, UK and signed an intentional agreement on the establishment of sister city relationship between the two cities. The two mayors also discussed exchanges of and cooperation on culture, education and business and trade.
7. March 20 Vice Mayor Qian Xueming met Kyaw Tint Swe, Myanmar’s Ambassador to China, for a discussion on the establishment of the Burmese Liaison Office in the China-ASEAN Business Park (Nanning).
8. March 24 A delegation from South Africa led the secretary general of the National Assembly of South Africa inspected the Xialu Village of Wuming County, Nanning on the role of the grassroots Party organizations in the development of local economy.
9. March 30 A panel of experts of urban planning and landscape designing were to set off to Ha Long, Vietnam to help plan and design some of its city landscape projects. Ha Long, capital of Guang Ninh province, with its rich coal recourse and beautiful sea scenery, began good ties with Nanning in 2006.
10. April 16 A Macau delegation of 59 members led by Ms. Florinda da Rosa Silva Chan, secretary of the Secretariat for Administration and Justice of Macau SAR, visited Nanning.
11. April 16-21 A delegation of municipal administration from Ho Chi Minh city visited Nanning to learn from the latter the practice of the planning of urban development, the protection of historic relics and city administration.
12. May 13-14 A delegation of five members from the foreign ministry of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) visited Nanning.
13. May 15 The acting Mayor Chen Xiangqun met Consul General and deputy Consul General of Cambodia in Nanning. The Consulate General of Cambodia in Nanning, first established in Nanning in October 2005, was forced to close on April 2006 due to the domestic situation in Cambodia and reopened on March 2007. It was the first time the Cambodian Consul General ever paid a visit to the leaders of Nanning.
14. May 19 Vice Mayor Zhao Hongsheng met the visiting Swiss consul general in Guangzhou, China, Mr. Nie Wei. It was Nie’s second visit to Nanning and this time he was with a Swiss delegation who was seeking cooperation in Guangxi. He hoped that the two sides could cooperate on paper making, chemical industry, education, tourism and environmental protection.
15. May 24 Sino-Vietnam Seminar on City Planning and Administration was held. Government officials and scholars and experts from the two countries met to discuss on measures to enhance city planning and administration.
16. June 25 A business delegation of 9 members, including the person in charge of China Economics Town in Spain, headed by Mayor Lopez of Estremera, Spain, visited Nanning to examine the investment environment and to booster exchange and cooperation of business and culture and to enhance friendly ties between Estremera and Nanning.
17. June 26 Long’an County of Nanning signed an intentional agreement to establish sister city relationship with Estremera, Spain. Vice Mayor Zhao Hongsheng attended the signing ceremony.
18. June 26 vice Mayor Zhao Hongsheng met a visiting delegation from Chungcheongbuk-do Province of South Korea led by its vice governor. The Chungcheongbuk-do delegation performance troupe gave a performance with Nanning Artistic Opera Troupe and the delegation visited some of the tourist attractions of Nanning.
19. July 2-5 A delegation of 3 members of Brunei-China Friendship Association visited Nanning for business exchanges. On July 2, Vice Mayor Qian Xueming met with Hong Ruiquan, vice chairman of the Association.
20. July 27 Nanning Students Delegation for Friendship Exchange set out to Australia for a 16-day visit. The delegation was warmly welcomed in Bundaberg and after the activities there, visited Canberra and the Gold Coast.
21. August 28 Mayor Chen Xiangqun, together with Vice Mayor Zhao Hongsheng, met Chilean ambassador to China Fernando Reyes Matta and signed an intentional agreement for Nanning and Iquique, Chile, to establish a friendship cities relationship. The visit of the Chilean ambassador marked the beginning of Nanning relations with cities in South America.
22. September 3 Mayor Chen Xiangqun, who was in Davao City, Philippine, for a friendship visit, signed the agreement with Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte on the establishment of friendly relationship between Nanning and Davao, making it the 9th international friendship city of Nanning.
23. September 4 Mayor Chen Xiangqun led a delegation to visit the SM mall of Asia in the Philippines. With a total area of 60 hectares and business area of 380,000 square meters, SM Mall of Asia is the biggest shopping mall in the Philippines and the third largest in the world, integrating into one shopping, relaxation, entertainment, meeting venues, restaurants and inhabitation. The delegation also visited the Asia Development Bank and the secretariat of ASEAN.
24. September 16 A delegation of the Hong Kong Association of the Advancement of Real Estate & Construction Technology visited Nanning. Heading the delegation were Mr. Liang Bairen, director of the Office of Business and Trade of the government of Hong Kong SAR, and Mr. Peng Jinjun, president of Chun Wo Holdings Ltd (Hong Kong).founded in 1991, the Hong Kong Association of the Advancement of Real Estate & Construction Technology is a non-profit association consisting experienced experts and professionals of real estate, building, construction and estate service, and is also the only comprehensive chamber of commerce in Hong Kong that integrates the above-mentioned four fields. It has now more than 100 member companies.
25. September 24 The first arts performance evening for foreigners studying or working in Nanning was held in Nanning TV Station. About 100 overseas guests from more than 10 foreign countries including USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Thailand, Myanmar and Indonesia joined in the performance which attracted more than 600 spectators and honorable guests from overseas countries.
26. Early October A friendship delegation of Nanning of 35 members went to GwaCheon-si, South Korea, for a display and exchange of the Nanning culture. Such cultural event was the first of its kind organized by Nanning in overseas cities as a means of cultural and non-governmental diplomacy.
27. October 28 The 4th China-ASEAN Expo was opened in Nanning. Chinese vice premier Zeng Peiyan, Brunei crown prince Al-Muhtadee Billah, Cambodian prime minister Hun Sen, Laos premier Bouasone Bouphavanh, Vietnamese premier Nguyen Tan Dung and secretary general of the ASEAN Secretariat Ong Keng Yong attended the Expo and the business summit. The ministers of economy and trade of the 10 ASEAN member nations headed their government delegations and business delegations for the EXPO. All together 183 ministerial ranking honored guests turned up for the event.
28. October 30 Mayor Chen Xiangqun met the visiting Sihanoukville delegation led by Mayor Say Hak, Cambodia. The two sides signed the agreement on the establishment of sister cities between Nanning and Sihanoukville and consequently, planted a friendship tree in Binhu Square near the municipal office building. Sihanoukville, used to be Kampong Som, or Kampong Saom, is a port city in southern Cambodia adjoining the Gulf of Thailand. It is the third largest city in Cambodia and the only port city in the country. With great progress in infrastructure construction in recent years including seaport, highways and airport, the city has become a hot investment destination for the U.S., Japan, China, Vietnam and Singapore. At the same time, the city also boasts variety of tourist resources with its14-kilometer coastline which houses many fine sand beaches and its waterfalls, national parks and islands.
29. October 31 The 4th China-ASEAN Expo successfully ended in Nanning. The Expo had offered all together 3,400 booths and had attracted 1,908 enterprises, 8,281 exhibitors and 33,480 professional spectators. 1400 delegates had joined the business summit. The transaction revenue on the Expo had amounted to $1.42 billion, an increase of 12.1% compared with the previous one. 26 investment promotion events had been organized, 182 international economical cooperation projects had been signed with a total investment value of $6.154 billion, up 5.28% year on year basis, and 138 domestic economical cooperation projects had been signed with a total investment value of 58.214 billion yuan, up 5.13%.
30. December 10 Secretary of CPC Nanning Committee Ma Biao met with a delegation of EU ambassadors to China and discussed with them on strengthening the exchanges between Nanning and the EU countries. The delegation was made up of ambassadors to China respectively from Portugal, Hungary, Latvia, Poland, Sweden, Lithuania, Slovenia, Germany, Estonia, Luxembourg and Belgium.
31. December 13-15 Chilean ambassador to China Fernando Reyes Matta visited Nanning with a delegation of 5 members from Iquique, Chile, for a series of exchanges on the theme of “Iquique and Nanning cooperate to enhance market links among the surrounding nations”. The exchange events were divided into 3 parts, namely “Seminar on Cooperation for Development”, “Exhibition of Chilean Film Culture” and “Banquet of Chilean Wines”.
32. December 16 Secretary of CPC Nanning Committee Ma Biao met Vietnamese Consul General in Nanning for a talk on strengthening friendship and cooperation. The Vietnamese Consulate General in Nanning was opened in May 2005.
33. December 28 The first forum on cooperation and development between chambers of commerce in Nanning and ASEAN cities was held in Nanning along with the commemorating ceremony of 100th anniversary of the Nanning Chamber of Commerce. Present at the forum and the ceremony were more than 600 delegates from Chinese National Federation of Industry and Commerce, persons in charge from the chambers of commerce of some cities and provinces from outside Guangxi, representatives of the chambers of commerce of the ASEAN countries, elites of the business circle and scholars and experts, discussing on the role of non-governmental chambers of commerce in regional economical cooperation and in the construction of the China-ASEAN Free Trade Area.