Before the Qingming Festival of 1951, a martyr cemetery inscribed by Mayor Mo Wenhua was built at the site (the back of the hill of People’s Park) where the martyrs were killed by KMT authorities during the 4.12 coup in 1927) in order to show respect and appreciation to the martyrs and their spirit. On the festival day, the 2ndsession of the Third People’s Congress of Nanning came at the same time. All the representatives went there in commemoration of the martyrs with wreaths, together with several thousand students and people from all walks of life.
It came to 1955 when the provincial government and the municipal government decided to demolish the cemetery replace it with a monument for visit and commemoration from later generations. Erected in Dec. 1956, the monument was all made by quartz and cipolin, including the monument proper, altar, handrails, and stone steps. Its front inscription was from Chen Manyuan, First Secretary of the CPC Committee of Guangxi Province at that time. Protruding into the blue sky and white clouds, the monument is standing solemnly on top of the hill. Two stone lions are standing on the left and right sides before the steps at the bottom of the hill. A spacious lawn is stretching in front of the lions, two pavilions standing on both sides with two horizontal inscribed boards hanging on them, reading “瞻忠”（meaning paying respects to the loyal martyrs）,and “仰烈”（meaning paying respects to the loyal martyrs）respectively.